It’s dessert time!
I love when strawberries are available and you have access to beautiful, bright red, sweet strawberries. I always try to make the most of them, adding them to anything and everything. They become a breakfast staple, an obvious snack and an easy dessert. That means, strawberry milkshakes, strawberry muffins and strawberry crumble!
1 cup rolled oats*
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup almond meal
1/4 cup unrefined sugar plus 2 TBSP
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup sunflower oil
2 punnets of strawberries
1 TBSP cornflour
*If you want a finer crumble use oat flour in place of the rolled oats. I vary between rolled oats and oat flour. I always feel a little more decadent when I use oat flour (no idea why). Maybe because it reminds me of my mum’s rhubarb crumble.
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
2. Wash, hull and halve all of the strawberries.
3. Place strawberries into your baking dish. Toss with 1 TBSP of the unrefined sugar and cornflour (this thickens the strawberries liquid slightly).
4. Combine all of the dry ingredients for the crumble then add the oil.
5. Mix very well to ensure the oil is evenly distributed.
6. Pour the crumble mixture on top of the strawberries.
7. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the crumble is nicely golden.
Obviously, ice cream would work a treat with this crumble but I haven’t been able to find a decent vegan ice cream in Australia that isn’t made from soy (please let me know if you have!). What I really want is Rice Dream Ice Cream (fun to say) or Almond Dream Ice Cream.
Or even better – I could always sort out my own perfect vegan ice cream recipe. I’m working on it. I’m also working on finding an ice cream machine, any suggestions?
What I also enjoy with these types of desserts is a creamy custard. For years I have been making an egg custard recipe – it’s delicious. But in this case I wanted to make a vegan vanilla bean custard. So I did. It was a lovely accompaniment to the strawberry crumble and I will post the recipe for you shortly. I love custard
Look at those beautiful strawberries. I love seeing the little vanilla beans in that custard.
Any suggestions for ice cream machines?