Who doesn’t love something that can either be classified as a breakfast or dessert?
I know I do!
Brendan and I stopped eating bread and cereal for breakfast a while ago. Now we start most of our mornings with a fresh vegetable juice (more info on that in a future post). As healthy as this is, it’s not that filling. So we need to eat something after – something that continues the refreshing, healthy feeling we get from the juice.
So I made this for our breakfast on Sunday in an attempt to find that ‘after juice’ snack… And we absolutely loved it! What makes this dish amazing is that it’s not a ‘special’ Sunday-morning-only kind of thing. You can have it anytime. It’s so simple. Just prepare ahead of time, then throw the ingredients into a glass/bowl when you want your breakfast ready in a flash.
Blueberry and Cucumber Crumble with Vanilla Sauce
(Serves 4 small serves)
For the pots:
I punnet of blueberries, washed
1 lebanese cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1. Layer the blueberries and diced cucumber evenly into your serving dishes.
For the crumble:
1/3 cup of mixed raw nuts (I used brazil nuts and hazelnuts)
1 medjool date, seed removed
Pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a small food processor and process until it resembles the consistency of a crumble. You can keep it quite textured here or make it more of a fine crumble.
2. Sprinkle 1 – 2 TBSP of this mixture over the blueberry and cucumber pots.
For the vanilla sauce:
1/2 cup of cashews, soaked for 1 hour, rinsed and soak water discarded
1/2 cup of cold filtered water
1 TBSP of lemon or lime juice
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla essence or 1/4 tsp vanilla powder, or the seeds of half a vanilla pod
pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender (I use my trusty Vitamix) until smooth.
2. Pour as much of this sauce over the blueberry, cucumber and crumble. I was quite reserved with the vanilla sauce at first but after tasting it I went back for more, a lot more!